Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sometimes it has to rain

Friday Ray and I watched War Horse.
We had heard some buzz but couldn't really remember specifics
so
we Blockbuster-kiosked it.
We liked it a lot. 
More than we expected . . . hard movie . . .  war . . . I guess is always brutal. 
One scene I am still thinking about.
I may be making it more romantic than it was intended to be. 
I'll share it still. 
Albert is doing his best to teach Joey (the horse) how to plow his father's field.
If the field is not plowed, Albert's family will lose their land, their house . . . everything.
The town has become an audience. 
Leaning over the fence and either silently cheering Albert on or publicly verifying that having the label Laughing Stock of the Town is suitable. 
It becomes evident that Joey will not plow the field.
Albert persists nonetheless.
The plow continues to get turned over.
Joey continues to come to naught. 

The Man who will take away their possessions yells over his shoulder something to the effect, "I told you so . . . I'll be by in the morning. You best be packed and ready to leave."
People start to walk away.

Then,
It starts to rain.
People are now running to avoid getting soaked. 
The take-away-possessions-man quickly takes cover in his car after yelling at his driver to cover him with an umbrella.

And,
Albert rallies Joey once more.
The ground softens just a bit.
Joey pulls.
The plow takes root. 
And they plow.
They plow.
They plow the field.
It's pouring now.
The people glance back as they hear Albert's acclamation. 
Joey has made his way to the top of the field.
The soil has been turned over. 
Fresh nutrients have reached the surface.
Weeds have been buried.
It had to rain.

Sometimes it has to rain to be able to plow through the field. 

I find that encouraging. 


I am the LOrd, and there is no other.
I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the LORD, do all these things.
"You heavens above, rain down my righteousness;
let the clouds shower it down.
Let the earth open wide,
let salvation spring up,
let righteousness flourish with it;
I, the LORD, have created it.

Isaiah 45:7-8


And Jesus replied, "You may not realize what I am doing now, but later you will understand."

John 13:7
. . .





Cousin basket time! Handley Reid, why are you trying to get out?

Let me sit in that chair with you!



I've never been so excited to sit in someone's lap!

Hmm, climbing 

Ah, Phelps, like, what are you doing?

Whoa, what's this?

Hey there, Mama. Put that camera away. Help me go down the slide. 

2 comments:

  1. That is some serious truth girl! I love it! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sally for sharing this. What a real and tangible story.

    ReplyDelete